Nyarushanje Community Library and Empowerment Center (NCLEC) a one stop place through which youth, women and community members of Nyarushanje Subcounty, Rubabo County, Rukungiri District access reading space, reading materials, Education, Skills Development and HIV/AIDS/Sexual Reproductive Health Education and Linkage to other services. This project is supported by Katholische Zentralstelle flur Entwicklungshilfe e.V. (Catholic Central Agency for Development Aid) KZE/MISEREOR Germany.
Under Education we offer the following (Education Services /Activities)
- Reading Space – for all Community Members in and out of school.
- Reading Materials (books, newspapers, magazines, etc) for school going children and community members.
- Revolving Book Bank activity where selected readers are procured and taken to schools on rotational basis. (Participating schools include Nyarushanje Upper Primary School, Hilltop Rwentare Primary School, St. Peters Secondary School Nyarushanje and Nyarushanje High School.
- Reading Outreaches – Lobby and advocates with schools to include a reading Hour in their school schedule. Works with schools that comply to provide readers from the library that are used during the reading hour- So far 10 schools are participating in this: include Nyarushanje Upper Primary School, Hilltop Rwentare Primary School, St. Andrews Primary School Nyarushanje,
- Work with primary and secondary schools to organize School based and Inter school Spell Bee and Book Review Competitions — Link to a Spell Bee picture
- Organize Early Child Care and Development (ECCD) Day that brings together children aged 2 – 11 with their parents/guardians to play, socialize, speak out, entertain and be entertained and engage in hygiene related activities — link of ECCD pictures
- Cultural Library Unit through which indigenous artifacts are collected and preserved for future generations. Through the unit cultural dialogue sessions between elderly and young are organized and cultural exhibitions.
- An Annual Community Sports Gala that brings together community members to engage in competitive sports, network and learn together.
- Community Based Libraries: These are parish based libraries that have been set up by volunteer community members to help distant communities to access Nyarushanje Community Library services. The volunteers were selected by community members. They identified the library space, open the library and arrange to pick and return books to the main library especially during the monthly library coordinators meeting. At the moment the set up Community Based Libraries include Kisiizi Community Library, Bwanga Community Library, Burora Community Library and Nyabushenyi Community Library all located in 4 Parishes of Nyarushanje Subcounty.